In March 2021 we announced the launch of an all-new training and qualification programme for aspiring snooker referees in England which has been developed in collaboration with snooker’s world governing body the WPBSA and our sport’s leading officials.
The courses have received endorsement from leading awarding body 1st4sport Qualifications are delivered by an expert team including leading professional referee and examiner Brendan Moore and WPBSA Head of Coaching and Training Development Chris Lovell.
Each course will form part of a clear pathway for snooker officials in England, from grassroots level to ultimately providing the opportunity for elite talent to progress to the very highest level of our sport.
New Class 3 Course
Our Class 3 Referee course is aimed at prospective new referees who wish to gain their first formal qualification in our sport.
Delegates will be required to meet set pre-course eligibility criteria prior to being allowed on the course, including providing a basic disclosure criminal record check (£23.00) and achieving a pass rate on a self-assessment online entry examination.
The course itself will then run over a 16-week period and will include:
- Referee training including online resources
- Online safeguarding and child protection training
- Post training refereeing – gaining and documenting first-hand experience
- Performance review and support
- Self-assessment via video
All training and assessment is to take place online, with delegates gaining match experience supported by mentoring from qualified referees. Following qualification, successful referees will continue to receive ongoing support during their future career.
The cost of the course is £149.99 – apply now!
Bridging courses will run from April 2021 through which existing referees will be able to complete the additional elements of the new course and ultimately retain their current qualification and level under the EPSB programme.
From the start of the 2021/22 season, all officials will be required to have completed either the new course, or the bridging course, to be eligible to referee at EPSB competitions.
The cost of the bridging course is £74.99 – apply now!
How to Apply
We are now accepting applications for both our Class 3 course and of our bridging course for existing referees.
The application process is as follows:
- Complete our online application form – (both courses).
- Within seven working days we will contact you and provide full details on how to obtain a basic disclosure check and how to make the relevant payment for the course.
- Upon receipt of payment and basic disclosure, you will receive a rule book, notebook, folder and pen. You will also be provided with a link to complete an online ‘entry examination’ on which you will be required to achieve a pass mark to continue the course.
- You will then be offered a choice of course dates available to you and once you have confirmed your preferred date, we will confirm your booking and look forward to welcoming you on the day!