0 items

No products in the basket.

Insurance Centre

A club or provider should do all it reasonably can to create a safe environment and reduce or eliminate loss, damage or injury to others.

If someone is injured at your club, or whilst taking part in your activities, or if property is damaged, the club, along with its officers and officials, could be held legally liable to pay compensation.

For your protection, the EPSB insurance scheme in partnership with our insurance partner provides access to specially-designed insurances for clubs affiliated to our 147 Club, as well as affiliated third sector organisations.

The scheme offers a range of policy options, including:

  • Property & Contents insurance – club facility
  • Public Liability & Products Liability insurance
  • Professional Liability insurance
  • Trustees’ Indemnity insurance
  • Employers’ Liability insurance

There is additional optional cover for members/players, legal expenses and travel.

You can read a detailed description of the EPSB insurance scheme on our Insurance FAQs page.

If your club is affiliated to our 147 Club, or you are an affiliated league or third sector organisation, and you would like to discuss our insurance scheme, please contact the EPSB on 0117 317 8203

Insurance FAQs for EPSB – The 147 Club

We have put together some useful information below to help your club with any questions it may have about insurance.

  • Who is covered?

    The EPSB Liability Insurance is designed to meet the needs of its affiliated clubs, providing cover to club committee members, employees, club coaches, players and volunteers, whilst acting on behalf of the club within recognised EPSB activities.

    Please note, cover is available for both commercial snooker clubs as well as social clubs and non-profit clubs.

  • What Insurance cover is available to affiliated clubs?
    • Property & Contents – club facility
    • Public Liability & Products Liability (£5m / £10m)
    • Professional Liability (£5m)
    • Trustees Indemnity (£1m / £2m)
    • Employers Liability £10m Limit

    Consider / optional covers –

    • Cover for members/players of clubs (e.g. Liability & Personal Accident)
    • Legal expenses / legal help for club committee members
    • Travel Insurance – club/teams travel outside UK
  • What activities are we insured for?
    • Administrative, social, fundraising duties associated with running a club
    • Organisation and participation in training, tournaments, events, matches, leagues
    • Hiring out of the premises to third parties for parties, weddings etc… However, please ensure the hirer holds their own Insurance. Hirers should hold Public Lability Insurance with a £5m limit as a minimum, ideally £10m.
  • If a third party is hiring out our premises, are we still covered by the EPSB Liability Insurance?

    If you are hiring out your facilities to a third party, your club is insured as the venue provider, as is the provision of any additional services, for example the running of a bar by your members or staff. To protect your interests, when hiring out your facilities to a third-party organisation you should seek to receive confirmation that they have Public Liability Insurance in place and establish who is responsible for completing Risk Assessments. Please ensure documents are retained.

  • Is there a difference between the insurance offered to Silver or Gold membership?

    No, however the insurance will be tailored to the needs of each club.

  • Is a club member insured to teach within the club?

    Yes, a club member can teach within their club, to their level of teaching/coaching qualification, and will be insured for public liability and professional indemnity sections of the liability insurance.

    Only those members with the appropriate teaching qualifications are permitted to teach within the club environment. We would refer you to EPSB/WPBSA for guidance on which qualification is required.
    Coach-led sessions must be undertaken by an appropriately qualified coach.

    Any coaching that the club is advertising should be done by a WPBSA World Snooker Coach. Please read

  • Is there a policy excess to pay in the event of a claim?

    To be advised.

  • As a club officer, will I be liable for any financial loss that the club may incur?

    If the club is unincorporated, the officer (and its members) could be liable for any and all financial losses incurred by the club. The Directors & Officers / Trustees Indemnity insurance is provided to support you for claims in this area for allegations which may come against the officer whilst undertaking their role.
    If the club is incorporated the directors may still find themselves personally liable and therefore Directors & Officers / Trustees Indemnity insurance is essential.

    Please note, this is a different type of cover to Professional Liability, which is a form of liability insurance which helps protect professional advice given by your club this is also known as errors and omissions cover.

  • What is the procedure if the club needs to make a liability claim?

    To be advised. Please contact EPSB in the first instance on 0117 317 8203

  • Does the club need extra insurance if they are paying staff?

    If you have purchased Employers Liability cover through the EPSB Insurance scheme, this element of cover insures the Legal Liability of an affiliated club and its committee following injury to an employee for which it may be legally liable.

  • Are club members insured for loss or damage to personal items?

    There is no insurance cover for individuals’ property within the EPSB member benefits and if cover is required for personal property this may be covered by the individual home insurance provider.

  • Do we need extra insurance to run our bar / café facilities?

    The liability insurance includes the sale of food & drinks, please ensure you have the appropriate up to date licences in place.

    Please note that if you require insurance to cover your stock or other property owned by the club should this be lost, damaged or stolen you can include this within the Property & Contents insurance on offer to your club.

  • Does the insurance cover the club's equipment?

    Yes, if you have taken out such cover as part of the Property & Contents offering.

  • Are we required to complete risk assessments for all club activities?

    Yes. It is essential that you undertake risk assessments for the activities of your club to support you in your risk management. You and your club owe a duty of care to those around you: If an allegation for negligence is made against you or your club the risk assessments will be needed to evidence what you have reasonably been able to do to prevent an incident occurring.

    EPSB can provide template Risk Assessments if required.

  • What information do I need to record when an accident occurs?

    We would recommend that a designated person within your club is made responsible to record any reportable accident/incident. Records must be kept for at least 6 years, and longer where it involves a person under the age of 18 years. Names and addresses of any possible witnesses should also be recorded. Please ensure your club has an accident book to record all such information.

  • What is the difference between Public Liability Insurance and Personal Accident cover?

    Public Liability Insurance covers the cost of legal action and compensation for claims made against your club or its committee members if a third party is injured or their property suffers damage whilst at your premises.

    Personal Accident cover provides a set financial payment in the event of an accidental injury, such as death, permanent disability, broken bones, physiotherapy, dental expenses, etc.

  • Does the club need to purchase travel insurance to cover competitions outside of the UK?

    It is understood that players tend to compete outside of the UK as individuals, rather than on behalf of a club. Either way, additional sports travel insurance can be purchased.

  • How is Employers Liability different to Public Liability?

    Employers Liability Insurance will indemnify the club/employer if it is legally liable for an injury or illness sustained by an employee (or volunteer working under the supervision and control of the employer).

    Public Liability indemnifies a club/member/volunteer if another member, or member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused. The policy also extends to include cover for liability arising out of the advice given by coaches.

  • Are spectators at tournaments / training sessions covered for loss or injury?

    The Liability Policy protects the club and its registered members for allegations of negligence should they injure other members or members of the public. If the spectators are injured as a result of your club’s or its members’ negligence they have the right to bring a liability claim against you.

    However, if a spectator injures themselves at an event and there is no negligence attaching to the club or its members there is no automatic payment to the spectator.

  • Are we able to insure trophies?

    Yes, although this is separate to Liability Insurance. As part of your quote please raise this and the team can provide a quote for you.

  • Why do we need Employers Liability cover if all our coaches are volunteers or self-employed?

    Under British Law, you can still be called an ’employee’ even if you are not paid. Our advice would always be to take out Employers Liability insurance. The type of contract in place with the coach may also mean you have employee employer relationship. In general, you may need employers liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

    • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it.
    • You supply most materials and equipment.
    • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses.
    • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them.
    • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work.
    • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do the same work under the same conditions as someone you employ.
    • It is essential that when you use Self Employed Coaches you check the terms of contract for their services to establish if you will be classed as their employer, that they have their own Public and professional Indemnity insurance in place.

    Employers liability provides protection to your club, as the employer, in the event any of the volunteers or employees becoming injured themselves and suing your club for negligence.

  • Are we covered for fundraising events such as a 24hr snooker marathon?

    If you have purchased Public Liability cover through the EPSB Insurance cover, the policy automatically extends to protect the club for such events. Please ensure appropriate Risk Assessments are carried out and documented for the activity.

  • Is there a time limit to make a Liability claim?

    There is a statute of limitations for an injured party to bring a claim for injury against you. This is usually three years or, if a child, up to three years from their 18th birthday. However, this can be reviewed by the courts dependent on the circumstances. It is imperative that you notify any circumstance which may give rise to a claim as soon as you are aware of it.

  • Are we covered to host exhibition events (e.g. a ticketed event with a professional snooker player visiting our club)?

    If you have purchased Public Liability cover through the EPSB Insurance cover, the policy automatically extends to protect the club for such events. Please ensure appropriate Risk Assessments are carried out and documented for the activity.