The English Partnership for Snooker and Billiards (EPSB) is thrilled to announce the return of its English Under-14 Championship – with PowerGlide Cues sponsoring the governing body’s lowest age group championship for a second consecutive season.
The continued aim of the EPSB’s lowest age group championship is to offer an enjoyable, competitive opportunity to as wide a range of players as possible to support young people starting out on their snooker journeys.
As such, we will again run Stage One of the tournament through club-based qualifiers, working closely with our network of affiliated clubs, predominantly those with established junior sections, to ensure that the right standards are in place for this age group.
This structure has proved a successful model during the past two seasons, with around 120 players involved each year.
HOW IT WORKS
Entry will continue to be offered at just £1 with the aim of supporting fledgling players from all backgrounds to take part without any barriers.
This fee aligns with our junior holiday clubs programme, giving young people across the country a taste of fun and engaging group sessions.
- Host clubs will run a qualifier during November, December or January
- Players aged under 14 on the 31 December 2022 can enter one event of their choice
- Entry must be made through the EPSB website
- EPSB dress code will not be applied at Stage One
- A minimum of eight players must enter for an event to go ahead
- Two players will qualify for the next stage from each event
- Further players may be invited to the next stage at the discretion of the EPSB, based on total entries for a club event and number of club events in total
Stage Two will be split into northern and southern sections, scheduled for Saturday 11 March 2023, with further details about format in due course.
The winners of the northern and southern sections will then battle it out in the Final on Sunday 2 April at Landywood Snooker Club, Walsall – scheduled to coincide with the English Amateur Championship Final at the same venue.
We will continue to apply a format that has worked well for this competition following feedback over the past two seasons…
- Stage One format – club qualifiers will be run as round-robin groups (one-frame matches), followed by knockouts (best-of-3s). No plate competition will be offered.
- Miss Rule – the miss rule will not be applied at stages one or two of this competition.
HOSTING STAGE ONE – CLUB SUPPORT
We are keen to support our affiliated clubs to host and promote these events effectively.
By empowering club coaches to run club-based qualifiers in conjunction with recruiting players from their existing junior sections and local areas, we’re working together to sustain the significant growth in participation among young people.
To recognise the commitment these clubs are making to run and publicise this competition we will pay £30 to the lead coach/individual at each club operating an under-14 club-based qualifier (providing the event goes ahead and with the required minimum number of entries).
We will also share marketing resources to support this promotion, aimed at encouraging young people at any level to take part.
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A QUALIFIER?
Affiliated clubs have until Wednesday 28 September to confirm their interest in running an event, by an expression of interest email to firstname.lastname@example.org